U13’s make a winning start against Benwell & Walbottle.

Newcastle’s U13’s welcomed Benwell & Walbottle to a sunny Heaton Medicals on Sunday in their first game of the season. With a few new comers to the club alongside some others making the step up from U11’s, it was a new, exciting team that took to the field. Having won the toss, Newcastle chose to bat and despite an early set back with Harry C departing, the innings was stabilised when Finlay P joined Chas D and took the score well into the 20’s. Finlay departed on 11 and Charlie W then came to the crease. Some aggressive batting from the pair, including a number of boundaries, meant both batsman retired on 30 soon after. Trying to add quick runs at the end, inevitably meant wickets fell but Newcastle posted a challenging 109-3.

Jed W opened the bowling showing great control, with figures of 2-4-1….figures matched by Chas D at the other end. The first change bowlers were equality effective, with Nikhil making his debut producing a tight spell, however Tom P taking the honours with two excellent wickets to change the balance of the game. Harry C & Suyash then bowled well in their spells, with the latter taking his first wicket for the club. As the game developed, Charlie W bowled a super spell conceding only 1 run off his two overs and was ably supported by Finn K. The innings came to an end, with both Johann & Harry M taking wickets in the final overs with Benwell finishing on 74-8.

An excellent overall team performance & result from Newcastle’s U13 Team, which sets them up nicely for a game against local rivals South North at Heaton Medicals next Sunday.

U15’s lose in the cup away to Tynedale.

Having travelled to Tynedale for a Monday night cup game, the U15’s batted first and made a great start with Tom H and Thomas B batting well to take the score to 89 for the first wicket. Tom H was dismissed first for 26, which brought Chas D to the wicket. Thomas B then departed for 40 with the score on 102-2. The innings then fizzled out, with the final score being 116-4 off 20 Overs and only Chas D subsequently making double figures (10).

As the darkness descended, it was always going to be a challenge to defend this total in tricky conditions. Wickets for the Proctor Brothers & Fenton M were the highlights, with decent catches from Thomas B, Finn P and Chas D. A game played in the true “Spirit of Cricket” by Newcastle, meant all the boys got an opportunity to bowl however ultimately Tynedale came away victorious, scoring 118-4 in the 17th over.

Good team performance from a relatively young and inexperienced team, versus a strong & well drilled Tynedale 11 – lots of positives to take into the first NEPL game the following Monday.

U15’s beaten by the weather in NEPL league.

With the forecast for the Bank Holiday looking more suitable for Scuba Diving than Cricket, the U15’s travelled to Shotley Bridge more in hope than anticipation. Amazingly the game started on time and having won the toss, Newcastle chose to bat first. Tom H and Fred P opened the batting, with the latter departing for 7 despite some mighty blows that would have cleared most grounds however just plugged due to the “moist” conditions. Up next was Chas D who supported Tom up until the first rain break. After coming back on, Tom immediately departed on 32 (with five 4’s) which brought the big hitting Thomas B to the creased, who was subsequently dropped on the boundary off his first ball……a drop that ended up being costly. Chas D finally departed for a steady 15, which brought Finn P to the wicket. After Finn was dismissed, George M joined Thomas in the last over – both boys ending the innings no out (Thomas scoring 29 (four 4’s)). Newcastle finishing on 111-4 off their 20 overs.
Despite the best efforts of the ground staff and the eagerness of the boys to play cricket in the pouring rain, the match had to be abandoned without a ball being bowled in the second innings. Winner on this Bank Holiday Monday was the great British weather despite some excellent performances – no doubt the cars smelt delightful during the drive back to Newcastle.