Junior WASPS Presentation Night 2013
A packed audience had plenty to applaud at the 2013 Junior WASPS presentations. Guest of Honour was England bowler Graham Onions, who shared some of his career highlights – and low points – in a Question and Answer session.
Event host Peter Hirst, WASPS Junior Coordinator, thanked all the players, coaches and parents for their commitment across a busy season which had been blessed by exceptionally good weather. And he revealed he had started as a Junior playing alongside the event’s special guest: he challenged the audience to say who had developed the better skills!
After presenting the awards, Graham especially picked out the Most Improved winners: “It shows you’ve worked hard, it’s fantastic to get the most out of what you’ve got.”
It surprised many to hear he was a late starter and at first was a better batsman than bowler. “I hoped people wouldn’t turn up so I could get a game.”
And he praised Newcastle Cricket Club. “This is a great club, I’ve been here quite a few times. I’d especially like to say thanks to your parents – you’ve all had good seasons.”
Salute the winners! – pictures below.
- Sam Warwick – Player of the Season 2013
- Charlie Davis and Bart Farrier – Buzzing WASP award winner
- Sam Lord – Junior Best Bowling Performance
- Ross Sinclair – Junior Best Batting Performance
- Under 15s – Alexander Dickinson & Sam Stoner – Most Improved Players
- Under 13s – Jamie Lishman – U13 Best Bowler Award
- Under 13s – Ben Snaith – U13 Best Batsman Award
- Under 13s – Dominic Gowling – U13 Most Improved Player
- Under 11s – Will Tedder – U11 Most improved Player
- Under 11s – Samir Sehgal – U11 Bowler of the Season award
- Under 11s – Dan Baines: U11 Batsman of the Season award
RAFFLE WINNER: the two tickets to see the Duckworth Lewis Method at the Sage Gateshead were won by Ian Greenwood. Thanks to everyone for the support for the raffle! – the other winners were Alex Baines, Sam Warwick, Bart Farrier, Abel, and Lorraine McLaughlin.
You can see the 2012 Junior WASPS winners here.